6/19/2007

Tis The Hour Of My Discontent

Five to five in the a.m. The room is too bright to sleep in or maybe my sunburnt back is making me uncomfortable. Well, for whatever reason, I find myself wide away and listening to some Cat Stevens. He seems to be a fine distraction for the moment and a comfort for my troubled mind.

Just the other day I found myself in the position of walking home drunk and exhausted. The walk wouldn't have been so bad if I was accompanied by my battered Ipod but I had nothing but my own thoughts to keep me company. The sky was glowing dark blue giving me more than enough light to see with. Though I was still unable to spot any of the tiny chirping birds that were seemingly everywhere. The chirping was constantly with me as my feet crackled along the ground their tiny chirps echoed along in chorus. The birds were almost comforting.

Everything else left my thoughts when I spotted a robust toad sneaking along the road behind me. Why was a toad following me? I had to find out. As I stepped towards him he hopped away from me but then waited till I reached out for him before hopping just out of reach. I stepped towards the toad once again reaching out for him and once again he hopped just out of reach. This repeated a few more times which did not please my drunken mind or temper at all.

I sat down on the curb frustrated and sipped my beer. The evil taunting toad just stared at me. I stared back. Taking a mouthful of beer I placed my hand down in front of the toad. The toad stared at me then looked down at my hand and back up at me and hopped onto my hand. I lifted him up and placed him on my lap as we continued to stare at each other. After a few minutes I bust into laughters. It was a deep joyful belly laugh and I have no idea why I was laughing. The toad hopped off my lap and sauntered off so I slowly stood up and continued on my way home.

Sometimes I feel I am chasing after something thats always just out of reach. Can one learn profound lessons from a toad while drunk and stumbling home in the middle of the night? The toad was much wiser than he first appeared to be. The thing is I am not even certain if the encounter even happened. Lately, for me, dreams and reality have been blurring into one. I feel I should be able to tell the difference but the mind does many a curious thing.

Seventeen minutes after five. Still wide awake. I think I'll go for a walk.

1 Comments:

Blogger T.R. said...

I liked this one. Especially the ending.

10/03/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home